Riley Keough Fan Forum
Riley Keough Fan Forum

For, and by her fans. Online since 2008

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Riley Keough on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Riley Keough Fan Forum on your social bookmarking website

Shopmotion

You are not connected. Please login or register

Riley Keough Fan Forum » RILEY KEOUGH » Riley's Movies & T.V. series » AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2

AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 30.09.16 9:43

Yada

Admin
Admin
New reviews started to flock!

NY Daily News Review:

This shimmering, raw, hip-hop hymnal of a film by Andrea Arnold is an American tale that is both gorgeously original and rooted in some of the greatest stories this country has ever produced.

It's also a road trip movie that puts Shia LaBeouf back on the comeback trail as an actor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Elvisí granddaughter Riley Keough (with LaBeouf) adds a rock ní roll vibe as the leader of the misfits. (HOLLY HORNER/A24)

Parts "Death of a Salesman," "On the Road," and "Bonnie and Clyde" ó with a pinch of "Glengarry Glen Ross" thrown in ó this film feels completely of the moment and also classic.

Star (Sasha Lane) is an 18-year-old from a harsh, impoverished home who runs away with a hard-drinking, pot-toking troupe of door-to-door magazine salespeople. They drive around the middle parts of the country in a van, stopping in places rich, poor, boomed and busted, trying to sign people up for little-desired subscriptions. Star soon finds herself romantically entangled with the volatile Jake (Shia LaBeouf). Their tumultuous affair is part lust, part chaos, and frantically young and jagged.

Perhaps only Elvis' granddaughter could be the leader of this gritty group of misfits. And so it is with Riley Keough, perfectly cast as a trashy but beautiful hard-nut named Krystal who wears her bikini like a weapon, the queen bee of every cheap hotel the group checks into on their never-ending tour of an America you usually only see if you hop in your car and drive around it yourself.

They don't set many movies in Muskogee, only old country songs. But this movie's soundtrack isn't, for the most part, populated by crooners like Waylon Jennings and Townes Van Zandt. Try "Choices (Yup)" by E-40 and "Out the Mud" by Kevin Gates.

Watching "American Honey" reminds me of the best work of Richard Linklater. The filmmaker's technique is nearly invisible. The viewer feels he or she is looking at life through some perfectly clear lens.

The actors have not been coaxed into acting. They have somehow been made to feel safe enough to show a side of their humanity that is normally hidden.

From Arielle Holmes as the Darth Vader-obsessed Pagan to Veronica Ezell as Star's emotive seatmate, these are performances that occasionally seem like prayers to some beaten but still beating American heart.

The film slowly, slowly blossoms into an emotional wildflower by the end, leaving us with a scene that is kind of spontaneous road baptism, an unsure note of spiritual birth.

Itís certainly worth the road trip to the closest movie theater.

American Honey: Entertainment Weekly review

A raunchy, rapturous teenage dream, American Honey is indie cinemaís latest attempt to capture the quicksilver magic of what it means to be young and restless and radically alive on screen. And for the most part it succeeds, gorgeously ó though it will probably make anyone over 30 feel either mildly outraged or wildly irrelevant.
Like every causeless rebel from Marlon Brando in The Wild One to Harmony Korineís slack skater kids, Star (vivid newcomer Sasha Lane) is the living, improbably attractive embodiment of youth in revolt. (Styles and slang may change, but cheekbones are forever.) Trapped in nowhere Oklahoma with an oblivious, strung-out mother and two neglected younger siblings, she finds her escape through Jake (a rat-tailed and relentlessly charismatic Shia LaBeouf). Heís recruiting for a ragtag team that crosses the country selling magazines, though more than anything itís a traveling circus of free-form hedonism, a sovereign state ruled by a flinty-eyed goddess named Krystal (Riley Keough).
Krystalís rivalry with Star for Jakeís attention is the plotís most tensile thread, but British-born writer-director Andrea Arnold (Fish Tank) is hardly interested in conventional storytelling. Over nearly three hours, she lets the movie unfold in a meandering, impressionistic ramble, drenching her largely street-cast actors in dappled light and saturating the soundtrack with the electric pulse of pop songs. Her America is all feral chance and possibility, and itís intoxicating. A-

Last edited by Yada on 30.09.16 9:51; edited 1 time in total

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://simplyriley.com

2 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 30.09.16 10:33

judy

Riley Groupie
Riley Groupie
This movie have so many great reviews!!! I'm just so happy for them and cannot wait to watch it!!
On rotten tomatoes there are some of the critics reviews: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 30.09.16 11:20

Yada

Admin
Admin
^Wow, rotten tomatoes rate it 80 %!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 30.09.16 14:51

keough

Rebel Rebel
Rebel Rebel
Seeing this tonight with a q&a with Sasha!

5 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 30.09.16 16:34

roza

Can't Stop Postin'
Can't Stop Postin'
This film definitely sounds interesting.

6 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 06.10.16 9:42

roza

Can't Stop Postin'
Can't Stop Postin'

7 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 06.10.16 10:00

Yada

Admin
Admin
Thanks for all the updates, guys
Keough, did you see the film? What can you tell about it?

8 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 10.10.16 18:43

roza

Can't Stop Postin'
Can't Stop Postin'
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 13.10.16 4:21

keough

Rebel Rebel
Rebel Rebel
I did see it! The cinematography is beautiful! It was interesting to see after following the filming of it take place. Overall it's just a really beautiful film and I think can give hope to people maybe in dead end situations. Riley plays the character very well. Such a hardass but really Sasha shines!

10 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 14.10.16 7:05

Yada

Admin
Admin
You could see the young and brilliancy vibes even from the trailers. I will wait to see it when it's on DVDs, like I mostly did with Riley movies. You see, Ireland doesn't show all the movies, unless maybe they are Hollywood blockbusters.

Thanks for the review, keough. Did you say, in your previous post, that you saw Sasha in question & answer show or something?

11 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 17.10.16 21:30

keough

Rebel Rebel
Rebel Rebel
Yeah! She did a q&a after the show, along with Ray Ray who also in the film

12 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 07.11.16 13:38

roza

Can't Stop Postin'
Can't Stop Postin'
SPOILER ALERT
I have wasted my hard-earned money and precious time on this. I am sorry to say this and please someone explain to me what I am missing here cause after seeing this I really don't get all the excited reviews. There were only 4 people at the cinema (3 required to play) and 2 of them left after first half an hour. I sat through the whole thing waiting for something to happen, hoping it all leads to something and NOTHING. Sorry, but all the plot is in the trailer. You sit through 3 hours and you learn nothing more. There wasn't a single new scene with Riley that I wouldn't have seen before. All her scenes where shown in the trailer and with a 3 hour film, I'd expect to see more of her. Her whole performance put together took only about 5 minutes. Anyways, it's just an exhibition of people acting like assholes, speaking very colorful language which wouldn't have been a problem if the conversation actully had some meaning, but there is none. You learn absolutely nothing about the characters as such, all they reveal about themselves is where they come from. There is one scene of one girl showing her having some mental problems but you never learn what her problem is. You have no idea who Krystal is. She's a woman, but that's all there is to it. YOu know nothing about her history, nothing about her relationships with people. You know nothing about Jake. At one point he's acting as if he loves Star being angry after finding out Star was "unfaithful to him", but you †never have any idea what his real relationship is towards her, or what the relationship is like between him and Krystal. He gets fired and then rehired but you have no idea why. And what is even more amazing, you have no idea who Star is. You watch her for 3 hours, but you don't know what to make of her. At one point she seems to have some morals not wanting to lie when selling the magazines, later on she has no problems prostituting herself even though there is no need for it cause by that point she has managed to earn some money by selling magazines her way by bying honest and not lie.. You see her feeling for some of the neglegted kids she meets when selling the magazine, but having no feelings towards her siblings she left behing showing her only leaving a lousy message on the phone trying to find out how her siglings are doing, but †never learn about what happened next and how did her relationship evolve with the family. I was expecting some point towards the end, I wanted to know how it ends? How long do those people live this way, what happens to them afterwards, how do they manage to succee or do they eventually end up on the streets? It starts and ends with people on the road acting "wild" and during the 3 hours all that happens is that one girl joins them. I must say that watching this I was getting bored waiting for something to happen finally and iritated by all the pointless vulgarity. You get to see breasts and penises people having sex, but no meaningful conversation, not one single joke and you end up knowing nothing about those people anyway. If that was the directors point to show us the emptiness and shallowness and lack of real relationships and people mistaking vulgarity for entertainment and being wild and free fine. But she could have done it in 20 minutes using a format of Woman's Tales or something... This was just too pointless to watch. I truly learned everything I needed to know about this from the trailer. I just think the director could have explored this more deeply. †I once read that this film is a generation thing that certain generation is going to hate it, the other love it, but I don't agree. A great film is a great film. I think Riley is a good actress and I hope she gets more lucky with films, but maybe in these shallow times, it's not possible. Where are the times where you left the cinema touched, crying. There hasn't been a really great and iconic film for ages. Where are the Forrest Gumps, Thelma and Loise's, Rainman's of today's generation? I seriously don't remember being stronly moved by a film for ages.

13 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 17.12.16 8:44

judy

Riley Groupie
Riley Groupie
Finally i saw this movie too! To be honest i expected something way better, since everyone said this was a masterpiece. I have to say that i liked it very much but maybe you have to watch it more than once to understand better everything. Like Roza wrote, Riley's character has few scenes in it but i guess it's the right amount of scenes since everything is seen through the eyes of Star. Even with the little scenes she has here though, she is brilliant and you really wish to know more about Crystal, she clearly show that there is an interesting story behind her. That's what i like about Riley's way of acting, you watch a character on screen but at the same time, without even saying anything like in The Girlfriend Experience, she is able to show other aspects of that character...
And i was so surprised by Sasha's performance, she was really brave in it and for a first time ever in a movie she was really amazing, she is meant to be an actress!
I have mixed feelings right now but the more i think about it and the meaning behind some scenes i have to say that i like it...7.5/10!

14 Re: AMERICAN HONEY - Pg. 2 on 17.12.16 20:18

lilsurprises

Thanks for posting you guys' reviews, very interesting..wish it had more backstory behind the characters it seems.... I'm gonna try to see it soon...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum